Edmonton airport

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Global Village

Marshall McLuhan coined the term in the 1960’s.  I was reminded of it again as I watched Jack Layton’s funeral, although the latter was purely a Canadian ritual.  Still, it brought people from a vast land together in a way that not many events have.

One of the things that really touched me in the days leading up to this was a chalk written comment at Toronto City Hall – ‘I voted for the first time because of Jack Layton.’  As an older adult and a former immigrant, for most of my life I’ve thought of voting as an important right and privilege.  Granted there were a couple of times when I got discouraged with all the parties and didn’t vote, but these days when I see people in other countries willing to die for the right to vote, I know how lucky we are.
As well, it was amazing what a broad spectrum of people came to pay their respects both in Ottawa and Toronto.  This man did appeal to a wide variety of people and his life and activities meant a great deal to many.

Mass media has brought the world closer together since the early days of radio.  There was the immediacy of the Hindenburg airship disaster with a reporter speaking directly from the site, and expressing his horror.  Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation was shown on television in Canada, not live but as quickly as the video tape could be flown across the ocean.  I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that John Kennedy had been shot.  I also remember the same about John Lennon’s death.  Many people watched the wedding of Charles and Dianna, and later the world watched her funeral.  Canadians joined together in watching Pierre Trudeau’s funeral and the train that carried his body.  More recently we shared in the joy of the Olympics in Vancouver.
What is it about events like this that bring some people out in droves or glue others to their television sets?

I think that human beings need to feel connected, to be a part of something larger than ourselves, and we need ritual.  Perhaps some will think that the funeral was too much or over the top.  Certainly for many it seemed to be just what they wanted – a chance to mourn, but also to celebrate.  And perhaps it was an opportunity to make a commitment, to go forward with a feeling of hope that we can make a difference, can make the world a better place.
On the other hand, a more cynical part of me says, it's the down side of mass media.  We all want to live inside a movie or a television show.  Sometimes when a disaster hits, I've heard people say, "It was just like a movie."  Are movies ever like real life?  There are people who love reality TV.  I don't understand why, but maybe we want to see ourselves on the screen -- all our foibles, and warts as well as our heroic possibilities.  If our lives feel insignificant perhaps being part of a movie or TV show will make them seem more important.
Still, I think that people do recognize the genuine when they meet it.  May inspiration fill us all to change our corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment