Edmonton airport

Monday, September 19, 2011

Bus

In the last couple of years I’ve started riding buses for long distance travel.  It’s more relaxing and less painful physically (sore, stiff limbs) than personally driving a car.  The buses I’ve ridden have rarely been crowded and I’ve mostly been able to have two seats to myself.  I can nap if I want, read or watch the scenery, and also snack.

My most recent bus trip was to Edmonton and back.  I find I like the Saskatoon Bus Depot better than the Edmonton Greyhound Depot.  Saskatoon feels friendlier to me.  In Edmonton they search your carry-on bag as a matter of routine, but it’s not only that.  The seats are harder (plastic not upholstered) than the ones in Saskatoon and grouped around the outer walls rather than in sections near the gates.  I guess Saskatoon’s Depot is smaller.  I didn’t check out the restaurant in Edmonton – the one in Saskatoon is Robin’s and no great shakes, but just across the street there’s Café Sola.
For me, at a Senior’s fare the cost would probably be comparable to driving in my compact car.

The bus from Edmonton was slightly more battered (cracked overhead panels) than the one from Saskatoon.  We left Edmonton about 15 or 20 minutes late, with apologies, but no explanations.  I didn’t really mind, just glad to get on and move into that timeless limbo that I do get into on buses.
A long time ago in my younger days I once rode the midnight bus from Edmonton to Saskatoon.  I actually slept most of the way as I remember.  There’s a 5:45 am bus from Saskatoon that I might take some time, getting into Edmonton around noon.

Since I will be doing this Saskatoon Edmonton trip a few more times in the next year I plan to figure out other things to do – take a crossword book for instance.  I could also take my computer or a paper manuscript and work.  Can’t knit though, they probably wouldn’t allow knitting needles.
 When there are small children on the bus it’s more difficult, a challenge for the parents.  Kids tire of staying in one place for periods of time; they cry or complain, getting frustrated.  This last ride, near the end an elderly woman came and asked if she could sit beside me.  When I said yes, she plunked herself down and said, “I’m bored.”  She then proceeded to bore me with her chatter.  Oh well.

If one can get into the right mood, focusing not on speed, but a cheap ride and a time to relax, and get seats alone, the bus is a fine way to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment