Edmonton airport

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Chapters of One’s Life


I first encountered Amber Tamblyn in the short-lived TV series Joan of Arcadia. I loved the show, and all the characters, especially Ms. Tamblyn’s portrayal of Joan. I was terribly disappointed when the show was cancelled. The only other thing I saw Tamblyn in was The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, which I liked, too.

Ms. Tamblyn wasn’t recently on my radar, so I was surprised and interested when I discovered that she’d written a book called Era of Ignition: Coming of Age in a Time of Rage and Revolution.

I’m in my 70’s; Tamblyn is in her 30’s. She’s American; I’m Canadian. So, what do we have in common? She’s been in the entertainment business since she was a child, but has also written poetry, a novel and now a non-fiction book (I won’t call it a memoir because it is much more than that). I’ve worked at various jobs and have written two collections of short stories and two fantasy novels (a third in process). I think that Ms. Tamblyn and I also share at least some values and a view of the world.

I too believe that there are times in our lives when we need to re-examine and renew. This can come at any time and occur more than once. I’ve considered myself a feminist most of my life. I believe in celebrating diversity in all areas of life and know that equal opportunity for all is yet to be achieved.

Here is a quote from the first chapter of the book: ‘And my Jungian therapist, Evan, told me, “Most people in our culture would say one must apply discipline to pulling oneself out of the muck. I would say the muck is where the magic is. One must apply discipline and self-control to staying put and tolerating difficulties that come with the dark stuff, so that one can be changed and improved by it.” ‘

I am currently very much aware of starting a new chapter of my life. I’m getting older and facing challenges that I haven’t faced before.  There is arthritis, pain, less energy, a certain emotional volatility. This is the ‘muck’ of my life right now. There are things I want to achieve – another book finished, a more positive attitude to my current situation, time spent on learning watercolour painting, and the regaining of a belief that magic can still happen.

Here’s another quote I like from the book: ‘Bottom line: Until women are allowed to make mediocre works of art while still succeeding in the way that many white men get to do this every single day, we will not have the power to take our creative freedoms back.’

For those of us who are writers and artists it’s not always easy to find a way to be heard, to have our work seen or read. I agree with Ms. Tamblyn that we may have to find ways outside the ‘norm’ to do the work that is important to us. For some of us this can mean self-publishing, online distribution of our work, and sharing it in other ways.

If you are interested in American politics, you may find Ms. Tamblyn’s insights into Hilary Clinton’s bids for president eye opening. Tamblyn was involved in both campaigns and experienced the misogyny. Particularly telling are the pages in the book called ‘Requirements for a Woman to Become President of the United States.’

Tamblyn doesn’t pull any punches, whether she’s writing about the United States, ‘We are a nation that is morally backpedaling, scared of change, and stuck in the back pocket of social media’s isolation and alienation. We are a nation that not only refuses to resolve matters face-to face, we refuse to see eye-to-eye. We’re not only lost, we’re just now coming to terms with the fact that we’ve always been lost.’ Or about women’s health, ‘If we want equality and inclusivity in medicine, and if we want to see better results both for women in the field of medicine and for women who are patients, we need to see more female representation in leadership positions and in what research is being funded.’

I was moved by this book and felt that I was getting to know other dimensions of this young woman, whom I had known previously only as an actor. Now I know more about the woman, the writer, the activist, the human being.

‘Put your defenses down. Let go. Listen. And learn.’ - Amber Tamblyn

No comments:

Post a Comment