Edmonton airport

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Beginnings of a Writer - Libraries

My father made up short bedtime stories for me before I went to school or could read. I’d resist going to sleep, and in order to be allowed to stay awake longer, I’d ask him a question, such as, “How did people learn to swim?” And he’d oblige and create a scenario to answer me.

He also took me to the library with him, though the German library in Kiel, where we lived was different from the libraries I use now. It was more the way I remember requesting books at university from the reserved book section. You went to a desk and asked for the book, and the librarian would bring it to you. There were no aisles or shelves to browse. And though I had a few books of my own that one or another relative or friend had bought me, I don’t remember that we ever got a children’s book from that library. I don’t know whether they didn’t stock them or my father simply didn’t think of it. We also had an “American” Library in Kiel, which looked more like the libraries I’m used to today. (I believe that after World War II, the United States set up some libraries throughout Germany, but I haven’t been able to find information about this). Again, we never got any children’s books from there. For me, the most interesting thing about this library was that the woman at the check-out counter had long red fingernails! I’d never seen that before (I was about 5 at the time).
When my family came to Canada in the 1950’s my father worked on farms and the only libraries I had access to where school libraries, but I loved using them. Then, a woman in the town of Elrose (my CGIT group had a sort of “Secret Santa” program, though I don’t think we called it that) who I was a “Secret Santa” to introduced me to the Saskatchewan Regional Library system, which at that time would mail books out to you and provide a label so that you could mail the book back free of charge. I also discovered the Elrose Community Library, which had been established in 1947 by the Elrose Homemakers Club. Later, I volunteered to work there. That was wonderful, to be in a room with the smell of old books. I first read Ben Hur (which is much better than the movie) there.

I’ve used many libraries since, at universities, and in various cities across Canada, and in a few other parts of the world. I love libraries and the Saskatoon Public Library in particular – the staff there are great!
How does all this relate to becoming a writer? Read, read, read!

No comments:

Post a Comment